The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) have commenced investigations into the utilisation of the N12bn Federal Government intervention fund released to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for the payment of players’ wages, bonuses and other outstanding obligations.
The fund was approved by President Bola Tinubu in January 2024 to clear outstanding payments owed to Nigeria’s national teams, including the Super Eagles, Super Falcons and the various youth teams.
A source familiar with the investigation confirmed on Thursday that some officials connected to the fund had been invited by investigators and had provided statements.
“They have been under our radar before now. We invited some officials over to our offices, and they gave their statements. Presently, they are on administrative bail. We have not ended our investigation,” the source said.
The development was also reflected in a response issued by the NFF to a request for access to financial records and utilisation documents relating to the intervention fund.
In a letter signed by Onoja Joshua, Esq., on behalf of the NFF General Secretary, the federation declined to release the requested records, citing ongoing investigations by the EFCC and ICPC.
The letter, dated August 18, 2026, was addressed to the Principal Partner of Cromwell & Okeke following a request made under the Freedom of Information Act.
The request, dated August 7 but received by the NFF on August 11, sought financial records and other documents showing how the N12bn intervention fund was utilised.
The NFF, however, said the documents had been submitted to the anti-corruption agencies handling the investigation.
“I am directed to refer to the above subject matter and your correspondence dated 7th August, 2026 but received on 11th August, 2026,” the letter stated.
“It is my instruction to inform you that the subject matter of the request under the Freedom of Information Act is subject of investigations by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.
“Therefore, all documents relating to the request are before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission.”
How the N12bn Fund Came About
The Federal Government approved the release of N12bn in January 2024, shortly before the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Côte d’Ivoire, following complaints over unpaid salaries, allowances and bonuses owed to members of Nigeria’s national teams.
A statement issued at the time through the President’s media centre said the intervention covered 15 months of outstanding salaries owed to coaches of the senior national team, as well as allowances and other payments due to the senior men’s, women’s and U-20 national teams.
“President @officialABAT has approved the payment of N12bn outstanding backlog for Nigeria’s National teams of various sports, which includes Super Eagles and others,” the statement said.
The government said the payment was intended to clear outstanding obligations and support the national teams ahead of major international competitions.
However, complaints over unpaid allowances have continued despite the intervention.
In November 2025, the Super Eagles reportedly boycotted a training session in Rabat, Morocco, ahead of their 2026 FIFA World Cup play-off against Gabon over outstanding allowances dating back to 2019.
The players reportedly cited unpaid entitlements relating to their participation in major competitions, including the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations and the World Cup qualification play-offs.
Similarly, some members of Nigeria’s 2023 and 2025 Flying Eagles teams complained in April 2026 that the NFF owed them about N1.5bn in qualification bonuses and camp allowances.
The latest investigation therefore comes amid longstanding concerns over the administration and financial management of Nigerian football.
NFF Administration Under Scrutiny
The probe also comes at a sensitive period for the NFF, with the federation facing criticism over the performance of Nigeria’s national teams.
The Super Eagles failed to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, while the Super Falcons also failed to secure qualification for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
NFF President Ibrahim Gusau, who was elected at the federation’s elective congress in Benin City in September 2022, is seeking a second term at the planned September 27 elective congress.
His administration has faced increasing criticism over issues surrounding the management of the country’s football teams and the payment of outstanding financial obligations to players and officials.
The NFF board has denied reports of moves to halt the forthcoming elections and replace the federation with a normalisation committee.
There have, however, been claims that the National Sports Commission is considering such an intervention.
Meanwhile, spokespersons for the EFCC and ICPC, Dele Oyewale and John Odey respectively, could not be reached for comments as of the time of filing this report.
The ongoing investigation is expected to determine how the N12bn intervention fund was disbursed and utilised, as well as whether any financial irregularities occurred in the process.