The United States government has released $13 million in foreign assistance to help African nations, including the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, respond to a renewed Ebola outbreak.
According to reports, the funds were approved within 48 hours after authorities were informed of the resurgence, prompting Washington to activate emergency response measures aimed at containing the spread of the deadly virus, which has already killed more than 100 people in the DRC. Part of the support will also finance safe burial procedures for victims in order to reduce further infections.
In a statement issued on Monday, the U.S. Department of State said the financial support would strengthen the response efforts of affected countries by improving disease surveillance, laboratory testing, public awareness campaigns, safe burials, border screening, and treatment of infected patients.
The department further disclosed that an incident management system had been established in Washington D.C. to coordinate with U.S. embassies in the DRC, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Uganda, with the aim of monitoring the outbreak and keeping track of American citizens living in the affected areas.
Washington also noted that it was leveraging previous investments made through the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs to enhance international collaboration in tackling the health crisis.
The joint funding support from the U.S. and the United Nations is expected to assist in deploying additional humanitarian resources to the affected countries.
In addition, the U.S. government said it was working alongside other global partners, including the European Union and the United Kingdom, to coordinate further donations and support for the Ebola response.
Out of the broader $1.8 billion allocated to OCHA pooled humanitarian funds, the United States revealed that $250 million had been earmarked specifically for the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda to help contain the outbreak and lessen its humanitarian impact.